Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training
Do you know how to assist your neighbors and co-workers in any emergency situation? Will you be able to help if Emergency Services are delayed? If your answer was not a resounding yes, then consider taking the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training course offered by Montgomery County.
Montgomery County’s enhanced Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training course will prepare you for common emergencies situations and the hazards and disasters that may impact the DC Metro area.
Register for the Next Class
The Montgomery County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program is now accepting registrations for the CERT Basic Course #23-02
Please read the following information and requirements CAREFULLY before you pre-register for the course. We will be following county and city guidelines to ensure the safety of all who attend.
- In order to maximize class interaction, this course will be limited to the first 40 participants who register. Registrations are on a first-come, first-served basis. The course consists of 10 sessions: 5 Wednesdays (virtual) and 5 Sundays (in-person)
- This is a Hybrid Course. Online learning will take place Wednesday evenings. The In-person portion will take place on Sundays at PSHQ 100 Edison Park Drive, Gaithersburg, MD, 20878. Participants who complete/participate in all 10 sessions will receive a Montgomery County CERT Basic certificate.
- We will be using the Zoom video conference platform for all Wednesday sessions. We may also use other technologies to enhance the course. Therefore, all participants need to have access to a laptop or tablet. All Sunday sessions will be in person.
- The initial session on October 4th, 2023 will include information for those new to the Zoom platform. However, we strongly recommend you download the zoom app if you are new to the technology. There are also great resources you can access by visiting the Zoom Website.
- After you pre-register, you will receive a separate confirmation email with the details of the class.
- If you have other members of your household who wish to attend, they must register separately.
- Additional details with the Zoom meeting links will be provided once your registration has been confirmed.
- Remember, class slots are limited. Therefore, please ensure that you can commit to all the dates and times prior to pre-registering for this class.
Here are the class dates for the online CERT Basic course #23-02. (Please do not pre-register if you cannot commit to attend during these dates and times). Note, we will not have class the week of October 16th:
- Wednesday, October 4 (Virtual): 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Sunday, October 8 (In-Person): 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 11 (Virtual): 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Sunday, October 15 (In-Person): 1:00 pm– 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 25 (Virtual): 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Sunday, October 29 (In-Person): 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, November 1 (Virtual): 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Sunday, November 5 (In-Person): 1:00 pm– 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, November 8 (Virtual): 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Sunday, November 12 (In-Person): 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Registration opens August 15th
Thank you for your interest in the Montgomery County CERT Basic program. If you have additional questions, not covered above, please send an email to email@example.com
What CERT Training Teaches
This course covers the FEMA CERT training course material which includes fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster response. Additionally, this course includes CPR/AED training and certification.
Other topics covered are:
- Disaster Preparedness
- First Aid, Personal Protection, and CPR /AED
- Mass Casualty Response and Triage / Disaster Medical Operations
- Two-Way Radio Use
- Hazardous Materials Awareness
- Incident Command System (NIMS)
- Pet Safety
- Damage Assessment
- Terrorism Awareness
- Team well-being and Disaster Psychology
- … and more.